Tuesday, April 6, 2010

La Barra de Potosí Mural - Pt.2


It had been two weeks since we'd met Laura Kelly in La Barra de Potosí and had our planning session about creating a mural of students' butterfly art on the exterior wall of the library she's started there. When she reported that the students were done with their butterfly drawings (to their great excitement) and that she'd rounded up the necessary paint supplies for the mural, Sally and I headed down there once again.

We all knew our part could easily become a two-day project. So, to spare us yet another trip, Laura had offered to put us up without charge at La Casa del Encanto, her charming, lavishly colorful bed and breakfast inn. We felt we couldn't accept such generosity from her, especially since we were there to help her and her work with the students. Still, we hated the thought of having to pay for both this and our empty villa back in Zihuatanejo. So we decided to get all our work done in one day.

The plan was to leave Zihua. early by cab instead of the very slow bus-and-pasajero connection we'd used for our first visit. We'd arrive in La Barra in time to finish most of the wall prep work during the precious couple of morning hours when it would be in the shade. Then, during the mid-day heat, we'd move inside to review the kids' artwork, recommend sizing and positioning of the images on a to-scale layout, and teach the students and teachers the process of accurately blowing up the montage to the wall. Finally, in late afternoon, when the site was again in shade, we'd mark the full-size grid on the wall and letter the mural's title. We'd leave by dark and be back to our villa in Zihua. in time for a late dinner.

It was a nice plan. I'd recently posted in my list of things we learned about Zihuatanejo and environs this trip that, "No matter what your expectations, no matter how well you've prepared, no matter how insistent you might be, a project in Mexico will not go your way." How well this truth would apply to our plan started becoming evident when, by the time we'd greeted Laura, had a quick bite to eat and gathered a few tools, we found the sun already beating directly down on the library wall. Undaunted, we slapped on the SPF 30, stocked up on bottles of water provided by Laura and began scraping.

Fortunately, the existing mural—a lifeless array of a mermaid and various marine critters each apparently pondering a different icon of Mexican history—had only a few spots that had begun to chip and peel, so that part was easy. (We were to leave the much more presentable bottom couple of feet of the existing design, a row of kids' heads and uplifted arms, holding open books inscribed with the names of famous Hispanic authors and poets.)

Using our one small wire brush, I went over the whole surface, removing more scaling and loosening years of dust and grime that had billowed up from the dirt street in front. The hose we'd counted on to then spray down the wall had so little water pressure that simply raising the end about knee high was enough to stop the flow. So the final wash would have to be a sort of bucket-and-scrub-brush affair. We ended up using a scruffy broom and Sally's donated t-shirt, dipped in the bucket and then sloshed against the wall.

How appropriate that, as we worked, many of the same varieties of butterflies the kids had represented in their artwork kept us company, fluttering around us and watching from the white and magenta bougainvillea nearby.

By noon, our wall might as well have been a giant dish mirror for the skin-frying, energy-sapping heat it seemed to focus on our melting bodies. A bottle of water every half hour didn't begin to keep up with the rate at which we were perspiring. And we hadn't even started the priming.

(I must note here that, while, indeed, the sun in La Barra can be intense, it is certainly no moreso than in other parts of Mexico, especially those widespread areas of high plateau. Inside Laura's B & B, in the many enramadas (the 20 or so beach restaurants covered with canopies of woven branches) and anywhere with shade, La Barra is a very comfortable place.)

It was that time of day when we'd planned on being indoors, in the shade, working with students and teachers. But, we were reminded, this was Semana Santa (Holy Week) and everyone was on vacation. With renewed hope that this might get us back on schedule, we decided to keep working outdoors, albeit at a crawl, and apply the white base coat. The best I could manage was to alternate about ten minutes in the sun with five minutes in the shade and welcome breeze found under the building's entrance canopy.

A few young boys dropped by the site, curious about our progress. No, we didn't pull Tom Sawyer's classic fence-painting trick. Still, as boys their age do, each of them wanted to show us what natural painters they were. And they did a very nice job. Meanwhile Sally and Bibi, one of the lovely young German interns helping Laura, started cutting out the butterflies from the students' colorful drawings and creating the three-foot by five-foot paper grid we'd use to compose them in montage. They sized this original so every eight inches would represent two feet on the wall.

Just as it seemed we were all running out of steam, Laura—bless her heart—showed up with a tray of freshly-made margaritas—just the boost we needed.

Meanwhile, the generous coat of white we'd hoped would cover the old mural hadn't quite done the job. So, as the day—along with our hopes of making it home that night—wound down, I made quick work of a second coat while Sally and Bibi finished the grid sheet inside.

The sun, mercifully, ducked behind the palms, and I used the remaining half hour of daylight to arrange the cut-out images on the grid sheet on the library floor—excellent timing, I thought, since the building has no lights. Finally, at about 7:15, we dragged ourselves back down the street to Casa del Encanto, satisfied that we could begin lining in the scaled-up grid and rough butterfly outlines on the wall early the next morning. Or so we thought.

After one of
those truly consciousness-altering showers, we joined Laura and her other guests for a wonderful special dinner (normally not part of the inn's fare) of chiles rellenos de cameron (peppers stuffed with shrimp). We reluctantly left the after-dinner conversation to the others and settled, exhausted, into our colorful room and mosquito-netted bed for the night. We were glad to have the net's protection from the few mosquitos we'd seen. Secure in our little tent, we drifted off dreaming of brushes and butterflies.
We awakened to find the opening to our netting spread open wide enough to admit a small turkey. Nonetheless, we'd survived the night and, after a simple fruit, yogurt and granola breakfast, we got to work again, once more under the unblinking gaze of that late-March Guerrero sun.

Speaking of the sun, now that we'd gotten the wall to the nice, uniform white we'd wanted, Laura pulled me aside and asked, "What color were you envisioning as the background to the butterfly images?" Barely swallowing my surprise, I reminded her that my layout called for white. "Oh, I don't know..." she mused, "Nobody paints walls white here. The sun's glare would make it too blinding to even look at." Fortunately, Laura found some leftover, sort of deep mustard-color paint that I was able to mix with what remained of our white to create a nice, rich yellow-gold. I was sold—the new color was infinitely better-looking than the white I'd imagined. Also lucky was the fact that the new color covered easily in one coat. As it dried, I looked for a yard stick to begin gridding the wall. Finding none, I resorted to a five-foot piece of relatively straight palm leaf stem I found lying on the ground, and, with the tape measure I'd been smart enough to bring from home, penciled in the two-foot grid on our smooth, blank, golden "canvas."

By noon, el sol was once again wringing the sweat out of us like a couple of cheap sponges. And once again we were reminded that it was not we, but the time, the place, the sun, that were in control of this day. Ten minutes on; five minutes off.

At last, we were ready for the final stages of our work before handing the project off again to the students and teachers. Sally dragged the patchwork paper layout outside, anchored the corners with rocks and began scaling up the butterflies to their penciled outlines on the wall.

While she did that, I lettered the title I'd suggested, Nuestras Mariposas (Our Butterflies) in the upper left corner. We felt this name—using the possessive—would reinforce the kids' and the community's sense of ownership of these sublime creatures.

After cleaning up and putting things away, we grabbed our backpacks at the inn and said goodbye to Laura. She thanked us lavishly for our work, the art supplies we'd brought and the money Sally had given her to pay for the paint, and promised to send us photos of the kids painting their butterflies on the wall.

We were leaving with mixed feelings. We felt some satisfaction at having at least laid the groundwork for the kids of La Barra to grow up seeing their artwork displayed, bigger than life, for all to see. There was sadness, too, for not being able to witness the young artists signing their work on the wall. We were, of course, grateful for having met Doña Laura, for all the amazing work she does for her community, and for this small opportunity to help. And finally, we felt humbled by this object lesson in how much more wonderfully creativity flourishes when it is not owned, but shared, when it is shaped not just by minds and hearts and hands, but by circumstance.

We headed down the dusty street to the main road where we'd catch our taxi back to Zihua. As we walked past the library that last time, we had to stop. We weren't the only ones admiring our work. Three spectacular butterflies, hovering just in front of the wall, seemed as anxious as we are to see how the kids of La Barra will capture their ephemeral beauty...and the imagination of this extraordinary little community.


sue in mexico mo said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have met Laura and seen the library. This is a wonderful project. The children must be very excited! I look forward to seeing photos of the finished project and especially to seeing it in person when I next visit Zihuatanejo and la Barra.

murciélago said...

Sue -- Not sure if I've replied before, but thanks (again?) for reading my blog. Can't tell you how much it means to me to know others enjoy it as much as I enjoy writing and shooting it. See Laura's 4/13 post on ZihuaRobs message board for pix of the kids starting to paint in their butterflies on the walls.